Steam distilled from flowers that are picked early in the morning to maximize oil yield and to obtain the highest quality essential oil drawn from the first distillation.
Ylang ylang is a tropical tree native to Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines. Its name means “flower of flowers.” The essential oil is steam distilled from the low-hanging flowers of the tree which are picked early in the morning to maximize oil yield and to obtain the highest quality essential oil drawn from the first distillation. The essential oil has a sweet, flowery scent that is especially favored by women. And historical data shows that the flowers have been used to cover the marriage beds of newlyweds on their wedding night.
Fun fact: Ylang Ylang has the distinction of being the main contributor to the scent of the world-famous perfume, Chanel No. 5.
An essential oil, when inhaled, can reach the emotional center of the brain within seconds. This is one of the incredible benefits of aromatherapy. Ylang ylang is a popular essential oil long loved for its emotionally balancing, uplifting and sweet floral fragrance, which is why it’s popular with perfume makers. When diffused, Ylang ylang can bring the aroma of springtime with its floral heart notes. Many know about Ylang ylang for it’s relaxing benefits but do not realize that it can be used aromatically to help improve romance and libido.
Ylang ylang offers many benefits when applied topically. Here are just a few ways to use this beautiful essential oils:
- Unwind at the end of a long day by adding a cup of Epsom salt and few drops of Ylang Ylang to a hot bath.
- Add a few drops to your favorite shampoos, lotions, or skin care products to give your hair and skin extra radiance and for a beautiful smell that lasts all day.
- Rub a few drops on your inner thighs to enhance libido and stimulate romance in between the sheets.
- For a thickening hair treatment try taking 1-2 tablespoons fractionated coconut oil with 10 drops Ylang ylang and apply to damp hair (not wet) and scalp. Wrap hair in towel and allow to penetrate for 30-60 minutes. Remove towel and wash as usual. Can do this as often as necessary.
- Replace your perfume with Ylang ylang by applying to pulse points (behind ears, wrists, etc…)
Ylang ylang pairs well with essential oils such as anise, bergamot, cardamom, chamomile, cumin, geranium, grapefruit, lemon, marjoram, sandalwood and vetiver.