I have had several people ask if bath bombs could be made without citric acid. I wanted to test a few recipes out before sharing because I wanted the consistency, hold, and “fizz” to still be as incredible as the recipe which calls for citric acid. Well I am happy to report that I have found a recipe that works! I love how it makes the bath water smooth and soft which in turn leaves my skin feeling the same well too. May you enjoy this recipe!
- 1/2 cup Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Cream of Tartar (in place of citric acid)
- 1/2 cup Epsom Salt
- 1/2 cup Corn Starch or Arrowroot powder
- 3 Tbsp. Coconut Oil or Sweet Almond Oil
- 3/4 tsp. Water
- 15-30 drops Essential Oil of Choice (depending on strength of the aroma)
- Spray bottle filled with Witch Hazel
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients and stir.
- Slowly drizzle the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients stirring constantly. (Take great care to drizzle around the bowl and not directly in the same spot to prevent fizzing action. If it begins to fizz the bath bomb could be ruined).
- Next use your fingers to break up any clumps and to see if the mixture will hold together if squeezing with your hand.
- Spray the witch hazel, ever so lightly, into the mixture a little spritz at the time. Use your hands to work the spritz throughout the bowl. The purpose is to moisten just enough to hold its shape but not to over dampen. It will still look dry but once it holds firmly together, it has been spritzed enough.
- Pack firmly into your molds. (I tend to prefer the metal molds over silicone but either is fine). If working with the metal molds, gently tap around the mold before lifting away. Set out to dry for several hours, or overnight. For an added touch, you can place dry flowers at the bottom of the mold before you begin packing. If working with silicone molds, you’ll want to leave them in the molds overnight. This will allow it to harden and make it easier to remove from the mold.
Don’t forget to add your decorative touch, or include a sweet note or surprise inside and of course the details in the packaging as well. Make it look pretty!