- Place 2 or more drops into the palm of your left hand and rub clockwise with the flat palm of your right hand. Cup your hands together over your nose and mouth and inhale deeply. (Do not touch your eyes!)
- Add several drops of an essential oil to a bowl of hot (not boiling) water. Inhale the steaming vapors that rise from the bowl. To increase the intensity of the oil vapors inhaled, drape a towel over your head and bowl before inhaling.
- Apply to a cotton ball or tissue (do not use synthetic fibers or fabric) and place it in the air vent of your car.
- Inhale directly.
Indirect of Subtle Inhalation
(wearing as a perfume or cologne)
- Rub 2 or more drops of oil on your chest, neck, upper sternum, wrists, or under your nose and ears, and enjoy the fragrance throughout the day.
- There are many necklaces with different types of vessels hanging on them into which you can pour a particular oil to use throughout the day.
- There are clay-type medallions to hang around your neck or fasten with a clip on your clothing onto which you can put a few oil drops to give off a gentle fragrance the entire day.
Many essential oils make excellent food flavorings or dietary supplements. To use essential oils for internal consumption, Young Living suggests these methods:
- Place several drops of oil into an empty capsule and swallow the capsule with water.
- Add 1–2 drops to a glass of water or rice milk.
- Put 1–2 drops onto a piece of bread or add to your meals when cooking.
- Add 1–2 drops onto a teaspoon of Young Living Blue Agave and swallow.
- Drop directly onto the tongue and swallow. Exercise extreme caution when using this method. Many essential oils are potent and should be tested by pouring a single drop onto a spoon and tasting a small portion to determine the amount of oil to be used.
*A word of caution, be sure your essential oils are labeled as safe for internal use otherwise do not chance it as it can do more harm than good. Please see below under NOTE for more information.
For systemic health problems such as candida or vaginitis, vaginal retention is one of the best ways for the body to absorb essential oil.
- Mix 20-30 drops or essential oil in 2 Tbsp. of carrier oil.
- Apply this mixture to a tampon (for internal infection) or sanitary pad (for external lesions). Insert to retain for 8 hours or overnight. Use tampons or sanitary pads made with organic cotton.
A retention enema is the most efficient way to deliver essential oils to the urinary tract and reproductive organs. Always use a sterile syringe.
- Mix 15-20 drops of essential oil in a tablespoon of carrier oil.
- Place the mixture in a small syringe and inject into the rectum.
- Retain the mixture through the night (or longer for better results).
- Clean and disinfect the applicator after each use.
Another method can be done by making a suppositories.
- Mix 15-20 drops of essential oil in a tablespoon coconut oil
- Place in a piece of foil and roll into shape.
- Place in freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer, unwrap from foil and insert into rectum. (Coconut oil melts to body temperature very quickly resulting in the delivery system of the oils being fast.)
- Another idea shared with me is to fill a vegetable capsule with the essential oil and coconut oil, place in freezer and when ready to use, peel the vegetable capsule off and you have a capsule size suppository.
NOTE: The above information is for Young Living essential oils only. They are pure, therapeutic-grade essential oils and safe for the above uses. Please be aware that not all essential oils are created equal and it is very important to know your product. For more information on the importance of essential oils and reading the labels please see my previous post here. Please also note that the information provided is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to prescribe, diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. It is your responsibility to educate yourself and address any health or medical needs you may have with your physician. Please seek professional help when needed.